In this sprint, we worked on 19 projects. This sprint marks the full release of our new & improved products module. If you use the Ecommerce section of Novi, you'll definitely want to check out the highlights below - we've unveiled tons of new features you're going to love!
New Features - Exciting updates in the Ecommerce section!
- Custom Fields on Ecommerce Products - You can now collect custom field information from the purchaser when a product order is placed
- View Product Custom Field Info in Multiple Places - If custom field info is collected during a product order, the values entered will be included in the confirmation email and will also be displayed on the backend for admins
- Group Conditions for Ecommerce Purchases - Two new condition options when creating a Novi Group, based on whether or not a member has purchased a specific product
- Product Fulfillment Email Notification - New option to not send an email to the purchaser when changing the status of an Ecommerce order to "Fulfilled"
Custom Fields on Ecommerce Products - Backend Setup
A popular request we're extra excited to reveal... you can now add custom fields to Ecommerce Products!
On each product page, there is now a "Custom Fields" tab where you can add custom fields to the order form. Just like event tickets, all you'll need to do is drag & drop the custom field to the form.
Form Fields Setting
When adding custom fields to a product, there's also a setting to:
- Require users to add the product one at a time to their cart so you can collect one form per quantity. Example: Awards Nominations - each nomination needs its own set of custom field values. When this setting is used, the quantity box is not displayed - the user will fill out the custom fields and click "Add to Cart." From there, they can opt to order the same product again, if they'd like, and follow the same steps.
- Only ask users to fill in the custom fields one time, regardless of the quantity being ordered. Example: Custom Team T-Shirts - 4 shirts might be ordered, but you may only want to ask the team name once.
No matter which setting is applied, after a user adds a product to the cart they will see a pop-up with the following options:
- Add Another [product name]
- Continue Shopping
- View Cart
Note: Products with custom fields cannot be set as membership or event add-ons.
Custom Fields on Ecommerce Products - Frontend
When a product is setup with custom fields, the fields will be displayed on the frontend product page near the "Add to Cart" button. If any fields are required, the user will have to fill them out before they can add to the cart.
Once they add the product to the cart, the custom field info will be displayed and they can review/edit the information before submitting the order.
New Order from the Backend
When adding a new order on the backend, you can also enter the custom field info.
Purchase Confirmation Email Includes Custom Field Values
The emails listed below now include the custom field values so the email recipient can see what information was submitted with the order.
- Order Confirmation email - sent to the purchaser
- New Order Notification email - sent to the admin (This email address is setup under Association Settings > Ecommerce)
- Order Fulfilled email - sent to the purchaser when the admin changes the order status to "Fulfilled" (If you have a scenario where you need to mark an order as fulfilled but you don't want to send an email, see the section below for a new setting related to this!)
View Product Custom Field Info (Admin)
Now that you've collected the custom info you need for the product, you'll want to be able to view that information so you have a full picture of what the order contains. There are a couple of places to find this on the backend, depending on your needs:
- Details tab of the Order
- Purchases tab of the Product
- Under the gear icon on the Purchases tab, you can add columns to the list view.
- This is great for a quick view and also for downloading to excel.
- This doesn't have to be "turned on" in the custom field setup - it's automatically available as a column view, based on which custom fields are being used for the product.
Create a Novi Group based on Ecommerce Purchases
Groups can now be created based on product purchases, which opens up possibilities like emailing or locking down a static page to those who purchase a product.
Group conditions are grouped into sections:
- Custom Fields
- Member Fields
- Product Purchases
Two options for Product Purchases conditions:
- Has Purchased - this excludes cancelled orders, but whether or not it's been fulfilled is not taken into account
- Has Not Purchased
*BONUS! Notice that you are now able to type into the groups condition box to quickly find the condition you're looking for, similar to reports.
New Option for Product Fulfillment Email Notification
Sometimes you may need to mark an Ecommerce order as fulfilled (i.e. closed) without sending the purchaser an "Order Fulfilled" email notification. There are a couple of ways this can be done, depending on whether you are working on a single order or updating multiple orders at once.
(1) Batch Action - On the Orders list, check the boxes next to all orders you want to close, then click "Batch Actions" and select "Bulk Status Change." In the pop-up, change the order status to Fulfilled, toggle "Notify Purchaser" to Yes or No, then click Update.
(2) Single Order - On the Fulfillment tab of the order, change the status to Fulfilled, toggle "Notify Purchaser" to Yes or No, then click Save.
- Note: The "Notify Purchaser" option defaults to Yes. Be sure to change it to No (if desired) before clicking the Save button.