There are two ways a user can unsubscribe from emails.
The first is through the emails that are sent to him or her. At the bottom of MailChimp emails, there is a link that gives recipients the option to unsubscribe.
The second way is by simply letting you know that they don't want to receive marketing emails. More on this later.
If a user has already unsubscribed from MailChimp emails:
If a user unsubscribes from your emails, here are a few things you should know:
- When a user opts out, they will no longer be a subscriber in your MailChimp list, but they will still be a part of the original group on Novi. This may be a reason that the number of MailChimp list subscribers is lower than the group count.
- If you edit the group on Novi and re-sync it with MailChimp, that particular user will still be unsubscribed. Novi will not override their selection to unsubscribe.
- If the user is a part of other Novi groups than the one the campaign they subscribed from went out to, they will still be unsubscribed.
- You can view a list of unsubscribed users on MailChimp by going to your Novi AMS list, clicking "All Subscribers," and then choosing "Unsubscribed."
If a user wants to unsubscribe from MailChimp emails:
If a user expresses that they do not want to receive emails but has not yet unsubscribed, follow these steps:
- Find and click on the user record on the Novi backend.
- Click on the "settings" tab.
- Underneath the "Communication" heading, check the box next to "Do Not Send Marketing Emails." (See screenshot below)
- Click "Save" on the right side of the screen.
This will prevent the user from ever showing up in any MailChimp lists. However, it will not affect their ability to be in a group that is connected to MailChimp on Novi.