Before reading further...
It might be helpful for you to understand the fundamental difference between the way that Novi and QuickBooks handle customers. This article covers this in depth.
When QuickBooks Online generates a transaction, such as an invoice or sales receipt, the name and address of the customer responsible for payment is listed on the transaction.
In the case where a company was responsible for payment, their name was listed on the invoice but their billing contact's name was not. We received some feedback that both the individual name and company name needed to be listed in order to help facilitate payment.
The Novi team can now optionally turn on a feature to send the billing contact's name to the title/first/middle/last/suffix name fields in QuickBooks Online.
Example Novi Company Record with Billing Contact:
Example QuickBooks Online Company Record:
Enabling the Setting
Reach out to the Novi support team via Intercom. We can enable a setting to "Send billing contact name (or null value if null) to QuickBooks Online for company records."
When this setting is enabled, whenever a company record is saved inside of Novi, then the billing contact's name (if the company has a billing contact assigned) is sent to QuickBooks in the Title, First Name, Middle Name, Last Name, and Suffix fields. When sales receipts, invoices, or other transactions are created within Novi or QuickBooks, then the billing contact's name will be included in the "bill to" window.
A few notes:
- This only applies if you ask us to turn this setting on (please reach out through Intercom).
- This only applies to company records, not individuals.
- This will not touch the Display Name in QuickBooks Online.
- If the company does not have a billing contact in Novi, these name fields (title/first/middle/last/suffix) will be left blank in QuickBooks Online.
- If you update a company's billing contact in Novi, it will update in QuickBooks Online.
- If you change the billing contact name in QuickBooks, you will need to also update the billing contact name in Novi. It is more efficient to change the name in Novi so that you are not duplicating your work.
If you want this to apply to new individual records moving forward, we will simply turn on the setting.
If you want this to apply to existing individual records in addition to new individual records moving forward, we will need to run what's called a "Push" to QuickBooks Online to update that info, which can take several hours. While that is running, you will need to halt working in Novi and QuickBooks Online, so we may recommend that we begin this process near the end of a business day.
Please let us know which option you'd like to take.
NOTE: Neither option will update existing QuickBooks Online transactions. The setting will apply to transactions moving forward.