A customer says that they have paid an invoice, but Novi and QuickBooks Online shows the invoice as overdue.
When this happens, you will want to do some research on the transaction.
Check invoice activity
First, you will want to check the invoice activity in Quickbooks Online. To do this, follow these steps:
- Find the customer in QuickBooks.
- Find the specific invoice in question.
- Scroll down to the activities section at the bottom of the invoice. Here, you will be able to see the exact transactional activity that occurred with the specific invoice. (See screenshot below)
Search for the transaction in QuickBooks Payments
Next, you will want to find the transaction in Quickbooks Payments to look for further information. To do this, follow this steps:
- In the gear modal on QuickBooks, under "Your Company," click "Account and Settings."
- Click on the "Payments" tab.
- Click "Manage Account."
- Under "Activity and Reports" click "Transactions."
- Search for the transaction using the advanced settings. You can use the date range, transaction ID, or another other information you have regarding the specific transaction to complete the search.
- Once you find the transaction, click on it to reveal all of the specific details that go along with it. This is where you will see the status of the transaction (and if it is disputed, the check writer's name, the account information, the history, and more. (See screenshot)
Take further action
If you find that the transaction has been disputed or otherwise disposed of, your next step would be to get in contact with QuickBooks Payments and/or the customer to get to the bottom of the situation.
Note: Quickbooks defines the 'disposed' status as attempts to electronically collect the check were unsuccessful. You either don't get paid for this check, or our [QuickBooks Payments] collections team will try and collect the item for you, if you opted in for collection services. View a list of all QuickBooks Payment Status definitions.