If you host a number of events throughout the year with similar characteristics, consider adding an event category for the various "types" of events that you host.
For example, the following are typical categories we see used:
- Committee Meetings
- Signature Events (for your annual recurring events)
- Educational Events
- Monthly Luncheons
If you are thinking about creating an event category, but you're not quite sure if it's appropriate, consider:
- How many events annually would fit into this category?
- Would it be helpful for my members to be able to search by these types of events?
If the answer to questions one is 4 or more, I'd say it's a good candidate. If the answer to question two is yes, then let's go build a new category.
Creating an Event Category
From the events tab in the navigation, select Categories, and then Add Event Category.
Now, fill out the modal that pops up with:
- Name - Something your member can relate to.
- Parent Category - If applicable, for example you may have a parent category of Education and then a subcategory for each of the types of trainings you offer. Please review the questions above to determine if this category > subcategory structure is appropriate.
- Description - This will appear near the title and is not mandatory.
- Icon - Select an appropriate icon for the category. This icon will appear along with the name for any event that you don't add a logo to.
- Background Image - If you want, you can give each event category its own background image. This will override the default image that you have set-up in association settings.
- Accounting - If this particular event should have its own payment terms outside of your default setting in QuickBooks, please add that here. If not, leave blank.
- SEO - As with any page you create in Novi, you have the ability to edit the SEO info. We will populate that info for you based off the category title but feel free to change.
- When you are ready, make the category Active.