Each association's members are unique. So, in addition to being able to sort your directory by Member Type and a few other built-in fields, you can also add custom filters.
How to set up custom directory filters:
(If your custom field is already set up, skip to #6!)
1. From the admin, go to Fields > Custom Fields
2. Click the Add Custom Field button (top-right)
3. Enter the Field Name and Display Name
Note: The Display Name will auto-fill based on the Field Name.
The Display Name is the label that will show in the directory filter and on directory profile pages (if applicable).
4. Enter additional information in the Instructions field, if necessary.
Note: This text will show beneath the Field Display Name on frontend member profiles (in the Member Compass and during initial signup). This text will not show in the directory.
5. Choose Checkbox or Set of Options depending on your filter needs.
If you choose Set of Options:
you will also need to add all available options in the field settings and choose whether members can select multiple options when filling out the field on their profile
directory users will be able to select multiple options in the filter when searching the directory
6. In the Visibility section, select Member Record. Checking this box will add an additional visibility option for Member Directory Filter.
7. Check the box for Member Directory Filter.
8. Review your directory settings in Members > Directories and be sure to select your custom field as a filter for the particular directory you'd like it to appear as a filter on.
Your directory settings will now include your new custom field as an option to filter by.
Custom field and member type-based directory filters are multi-select, allowing for more tailored searches and opportunities to link to specific searches.
The only caveat is if a field is also driving the Category directory view. Each value in this field has the opportunity to have its own content on its specific page, providing you more ways to bring in some ancillary revenue!
Note: The "Member Types" filter in directories will show options based on each member type's settings in the "Display Name for Directories" field. If two member types have the same display name, it will only be listed once in the filter drop-down and the members from both types will be displayed together.