Member Compass Video Overviews:
Want us to walk you through it? No problem! Check out the videos below.
Sections in this article:
- What is the Member Compass?
- How does it work?
- What will they see?
- Member Compass Sections
- Creating a membership from the Member Compass
What is the Member Compass?
Your members' online profile and guide to their membership information within your association.
How Does it Work?
An individual must first create their user account. Once they are logged-in, they will be able to see and access their profile information, transaction history, ecommerce orders, event registrations and more. They can get to their Member Compass by clicking on their name in the top-right hand corner, similar to other social platforms. You can also add /member-compass to the end of your website domain - this is a direct link that you can also share with members. Both members and non-members may have an account, though their access to certain things on the website will differ.
What Will They See?
What individuals will see depends on their status in your membership list and/or their level of access.
Regardless of member type, status, or family relationships - All logged in users will be able to see:
- Their Dashboard with their membership status
- Transactions billed to themselves
- Their event history
- Their order history
- Their own personal profile information
Individuals with Company Privileges
Including Primary Contacts, Billing Contacts, and Management Access - Logged in users that are assigned as the Primary and/or Billing Contact for a company, as well as users with management access, can see all of the above, as well as:
- View and edit the company profile(s) - if they have access to one company they will have a "Company" tab in their Member Compass, but if they have access to more than one company they will have a "Companies" tab with a list of all the companies
- View and pay transactions for the company, all sub-companies, and related contacts
- View their parent company's order history and subscriptions (they will not see this information for sub-companies or related staff)
- Manage the staff list for the company and all sub-companies (this is optional with a setting - see the Staff section below for more info), including: add/remove staff members, edit staff member profiles, and edit staff member management access (with an option to select multiple companies in the family, if applicable)
Note: Anyone in the family tree can have access to multiple company profiles and their staff lists. Learn how to give an individual access to multiple related companies.
Member Compass Sections
Sections available to all users:
The Dashboard section is the first page your member will see upon login. This section will show them their membership status (the messaging here varies depending on your membership structure and the particular member's status), a message from you, any outstanding invoices, upcoming events, and featured blog categories.
Keep in mind, this is the dashboard for a test account (and primary contact of a company), so a particular member may not have these exact sections.
The Pay Balance tab shows transactions that have been billed to the member. Primary Contacts, Billing Contacts, and those with management access will also be able to see open balances for their company, all sub-companies, and related staff.
The member has the option to select the Full Balance, Overdue Balance, or choose from Specific Invoices. For payment, the member can use a previously saved Credit/Debit Card or add a new card.
If the member has not previously signed up for Auto-Pay for membership renewals, that option will be given in the Payment box. If they need to opt out, they can so do in the Payment Methods tab.
By default, everyone will have an Account History tab that will show transactions that have been billed to them. Here, members can view transactions, pay invoices, or print transactions in bulk.
Primary Contacts, Billing Contacts, and those with management access will also be able to see transactions billed to their company, all sub-companies, and other related contacts of the company.
Transactions are sorted by default in order of open invoices that are due. The "sort by" tool allows users to sort their transactions by balance, who was billed, transaction date, due date, status, and total. Note that the transaction status appears in the righthand corner of the transaction space.
The My Events tab will show any upcoming events the user is registered for as well as events they have registered for in the past.
Upcoming events can quickly be added to a calendar from the My Events section, and private webinar link events will allow the user to join the event directly from this screen 15 minutes before the event begins.
For past events, users can see what they have or have not been marked as "Attended" for and, for events that earned CEU credits, users can download their Continuing Education Report directly from this screen.
The My Orders section shows for any order purchasers. Here, they can see order information for orders they have placed, their order fulfillment status, and tracking number (if applicable), as well as subscription information.
Primary Contacts, Billing Contacts, and those with management access will also be able to see orders and subscriptions billed to their parent company.
All individuals will be able to edit their profile information - such as contact information and custom fields. Allowing users the ability to change their parent company is a per-association decision (learn more about this setting here). Let the Novi team know if you would like to update this setting for your website.
For data cleanliness & security reasons, individuals must contact the association to change their first or last name.
LOGIN & PASSWORD
The Login & Password section allows users to see their main Contact Email and Login Email, and to edit their login email and password. Note that they must know their current password to make these changes.
In the Payment Methods tab, members can add, update, or delete saved credit cards.
In addition, if they previously opted-in to use their card to Auto-Pay Membership Renewals, they can opt-out in this tab. A warning box like the one below will display:
Sections available to only company Primary Contacts, Billing Contacts, or users with management access to a company:
COMPANY / COMPANIES
This section allows users with company privileges to edit company information such as contact info and custom field information. The label will depend on whether they have access to one company or multiple companies. If multiple, the tab will display a list of all the companies they have access to.
Note: These users will not be able to edit the company's name.
Here, users with company privileges can add and remove staff members from the company's Staff list.
Items of note:
- Adding a staff member does not automatically create a login for the new staff member - that person will still need to create an account on the website.
- When removing a staff member, the system removes the Parent Company from the person's record, but it does not delete them from the system.
- When giving another staff member management access, a dropdown will appear where they can select which companies that person should have access to.
Check your settings!
The Staff tab will only appear in the Member Compass for users with company privileges if the setting for users with management access to be able to control their company's staff is turned on for your website.
- For trade associations with company members, we recommend that this setting is turned ON so that primary contacts can remove/add staff members from their company (or companies) and update the staff member's information.
- For a society with individual members, you may want this turned OFF so that membership information stays protected from unwanted changes. Ultimately the decision is yours.
A second setting to consider is the one that allows the user with management access to move existing staff to a different parent company.
These settings can be updated in Association Settings > Membership.
Creating a Membership from the Member Compass
There are a few scenarios where a user can create or renew a membership from their Member Compass. Of course, this requires that they already have a login, so a few specific scenarios would apply here:
- The user is an expired/lapsed member who would like to renew their membership.
- The user is an expired/lapsed member in grace period who would like to renew their membership.
- The user is a current member, but you have auto-renewal turned off and allow members to renew themselves prior to their expiration.
- The user is a non-member with a login who would like to register for an individual membership.
- The user is a prospect with a login who would like to register for an individual membership.
- The logged-in user is the primary/billing contact or has management access to a non-member company who would like to register for a company membership.
- The logged-in user is the primary/billing contact or has management access to a prospect company who would like to register for a company membership.