The vast majority of our Novi associations have renewals set-up to automatically run, often weeks or months before a member expires. Because of this, it's rare that a member would need to process a renewal manually.
However, there are cases where manual renewal is useful, such as:
- Auto-renewal for membership is disabled
- You have auto-renew turned off and a member would like to renew prior to expiration
- A member has lapsed for a certain period of time and has decided to come back
- A member has lapsed and is currently in grace period
In these scenarios, a person is able to renew their membership (or their company's membership) from within their Member Compass.
Please note that manual renewals are only possible when:
- There is no open dues invoice for the member. Open dues invoices must be taken care of before they can renew themselves.
- The member is already expired, in a grace period, OR...
- If auto-renewal is turned off, the "Allow member self-renewals within X days of expiration" setting in Association Settings is setup to allow the member to renew a certain number of days prior to their expiration.
Once they click the "Renew Now" link, they will be taken through the following three steps:
Member Type: There is a setting in your Association Settings that allows the renewing member to change member types upon renewal, or of course, stay in the same member type they are currently in.
- If you would like to turn this setting on, navigate to Association Settings > Membership tab > Member Compass section > "Allow members to change member type upon renewal" checkbox in the admin side of the site.
- Only member types that you have chosen to appear on the frontend will appear in their list to choose from (unless they are already in a hidden member type).
- Additionally, they will only see member types that apply to their current setup situation. For example, if John Smith is the primary contact of ABC Company, and the company is expired, John Smith can renew ABC Company. John Smith cannot, however, renew himself into an individual member type. But, if he was originally in an individual member type and his personal membership was expired, but he just so happened to also be under ABC Company, the opposite would be true.
Key Info: The user will then be prompted to fill out the applicable Key Information fields, which are determined by your Member Field and Custom Field settings.
Checkout: Once the user fills out the appropriate information, they are then asked to checkout for the membership renewal.
Once the membership is successfully renewed, the member will be taken to their Member Compass where a success message will be displayed.
Important Items of Note:
- Approval settings do not apply to manual renewals.
- For trade associations, only individuals with management access are permitted to renew their company's membership.
- Related: Define when a late renewal is a "New Member"