The QuickBooks Analyzer tool runs right within Novi and scans your QuickBooks record data for things like duplicates, ambiguous records, and invalid formatting (For example, emails with two @@'s that QuickBooks didn't detect).
Keep reading to learn more!
When should I use this tool?
This tool is something you may want to consider running every week to two weeks, to keep your data in top shape. Similar to DataMaid, but run directly in your Novi site, this is a quick way to analyze your QuickBooks records for things you may have missed otherwise.
Where can I find the QuickBooks Analyzer tool?
- Click your name in the top right corner of the admin side of your site
- Under Tools, select QuickBooks Analyzer
How does this tool work?
Immediately after opening the QuickBooks Analyzer, it will automatically show you records with similar names based on 80% similarity. This is the default "similarity percentage" but you can change it to a different value. For example, 90% will reduce the list to items that are a much closer match and are more likely to need follow-up.
Also by default, we do not include deleted (AKA "inactive") records in the list. To include these, check the box at the top of the list.
You'll be shown columns for the name of the record, the field name that has an issue, the value in the field, and what the specific problem is.
To fix any of these issues, simply click the name of the record. This will open the record inside of your QuickBooks account to be updated (be sure to login to QuickBooks in a separate tab before beginning this process!).
What action do I need to take?
Depending on the reason a record is in the list, you may or may not need to take further steps to clean up the data.
"Potential Duplicate" and "Records with Similar Names"
- Some of them may actually be different companies or people with similar names (like LCPA Publications and DDPC Publications), so no action is needed.
- However, there may be others that are real duplicates (like Bookmasters and Bookmasters-1). In this case, we recommend trying to merge the records in Novi first. Or, if necessary, you can merge them in QuickBooks Online.
- Occasionally, you'll see rows in the analyzer that point to invalid formatting. These may be leftover from before your organization started using Novi, or may point to formatting that slipped through the cracks in QuickBooks. Examples include an invalid phone number, email, website, etc. If this is the case, simply open the record and update the information.
QuickBooks Online only has the concept of a customer record, but Novi has both companies and people. The way it is determined what type of record it is in Novi is if the record's Display Name exactly matches either the Company Name or First and Last names on the record in QuickBooks.
If it's unclear because there's not a match, it's called an Ambiguous Record and will need to be cleaned up. This wouldn't be an issue with records that have been created in Novi, but if someone creates records in QuickBooks for any reason, you'll want to get these cleaned up.
The QuickBooks Analyzer is just one of the many tools you have access to for reviewing and cleaning your data. Check out these other helpful articles for more information:
- How to Keep Your Member Data Clean - Learn how and why to keep your member data clean with Novi AMS tools.
- Address Cleanup Tool - Helps you quickly identify and update records in your system without a billing/shipping address.
- DataMaid - A QuickBooks Online data cleaning tool that sweeps and scans your data to identify errors and update them on the spot!