Novi AMS will automatically send a welcome email to new members, unless you disable this setting. Each Member Type can have its own customized welcome message.
How to Enable the Welcome Email
Each Member Type can have a unique welcome message. Therefore, the first step is to go to the specific Member Type.
1. In the admin section, go to Members > select the Member Type
2. Go to the Details tab
3. Scroll down to Enable Welcome Email and toggle it to ON
How to Edit the Welcome Email
1. Enter the Subject/Title
2. Enter the Email Body
>> Refer to the section below for more info about available Merge Tags
3. Click the Save button (upper right)
4. Send a sample email to yourself, to check the formatting of the welcome email (located below the Email Body)
- If the sample email is not showing the edits, go back and click the Save button, then send another test email.
The following merge tags are available to add more customization to the welcome email.
PLEASE NOTE: First and Last Name merge tags are only applicable to individual-based member types. These are not applicable to company-based member types.
- [[NameAbbreviated]] - this is your association's name in an abbreviated format (e.g. AONW)
- [[MemberType]] - this is the member type on the member's record in Novi
- [[Name]] - this will return First + Last for people, or the Company Name for companies.
- [[FirstName]] - this will return “FirstName” for individual based member-types only. NOTE: If your member type is company-based, this will not apply and you should use [[Name]] instead.
- [[LastName]] - this will return “LastName” for individual based members only. NOTE: If your member type is company-based, this will not apply and you should use [[Name]] instead.
- [[LinkToCompass]] - this will insert a link to the Member Compass, and is already included in the default verbiage.
- [[LinkToContactUs]] - this will insert a link to your Contact Us page, and is already included in the default verbiage.
Which Email Address Receives the Welcome Email?
For individuals signing up for new membership on the frontend, the welcome email is sent to that person's email address.
For a new company joining on the frontend, the welcome email is sent to the Primary Contact's email address. This is the person who is logged in and submitting the membership application on behalf of the company.
- Note: If the company's membership requires approval and someone removes the Primary Contact's email address before the signup is approved (or removes the person as the company's Primary Contact), the system will then attempt to send the welcome email to the company's email address.
For admin registrations on the backend, the system will attempt to send the email to the Primary Contact if there is one. Otherwise it will send to the company's email address.
When is the Welcome Email Sent?
- For member types that require admin approval, the welcome email will be sent after the admin approves the member (in Recent Signups or directly on the member record).
- For member types that do not require admin approval, the welcome email will be sent to the member as soon as they join.
- If the welcome email is disabled (on the Details tab of the Member Type), no message will be sent to new members.
NOTE: For new members added via the backend by an admin, see below for more info.
How to Turn Off (Disable) the Welcome Email
If new members should not receive a welcome email, this can be disabled on the Member Type's Details tab by switching Enable Welcome Email to OFF:
Adding a Member from the Backend
For members who were added on the backend by an admin, the admin can choose to send the new member the welcome email or not, IF it is enabled on the member type.
If the member type does not have a welcome email enabled, the option will not be displayed. If the new member does not have an email address, the toggle will be greyed out (see screenshot).
NOTE: If Auto-Approve is toggled to off, the Send Welcome Email option will no longer be available. This is because the membership is pending and has not been approved yet. The welcome email will be triggered when the record is approved (either from the Recent Signups list or directly on the record).
>> Refer to the section above for "Which Email Address Receives the Welcome Email?"