Member types are the bread-and-butter to organizing your members in your database. They are the core classification for all dues-paying members and determine how member benefits flow to related records in the system. They also hold settings for new member signups and renewals. Additionally, each member type includes dues rules that determine how much those members will ultimately pay for their membership.
If you have a new option for member signup or need to edit your existing options, follow the steps below to create a new Member Type.
Novi Tip: Before creating a member type, ask yourself: Should we create an entirely new member type, or can this just be a custom field? For example, let's say you have a few complimentary members who don't pay dues. You don't need to create a "Complimentary" member type, because these members are still a part of their original type. You'd just want to create a custom field, select the field on the appropriate member records, and add the custom field as a condition on your dues rules so those members won't be billed.
Create a Member Type
1. Go to the Member Types tab on the backend of Novi.
2. Click the Add Member Type button.
The "New Member Type" modal will be displayed:
3. In the New Member Type modal, add the following details:
Name - This is what users will see on the frontend when signing up for membership.
Color - This applies to any record with a member type assigned (current & expired members, prospects, etc.). The colors will show in the Members list for quick reference - on the tiles at the top and on the far left of the rows in the list.
Member Type Color:
Description - This will show on the frontend to help users select the appropriate Member Type. This can be short or even blank, but oftentimes it includes whether the member type is for companies or individuals, a list of member benefits, and the annual dues amount.
Welcome Email - Automatically send a welcome email to new members. If approval is required, the email will be sent after an admin approves the record on the backend.
>> More info on the New Member Welcome Email, including available merge tags for your message.
4. Click Save & Close to create the new member type.
5. Open the member type on the backend where it was just created and go to the Dues Rules tab. If the member type gets billed for dues, you'll need to set up your dues rules, and be sure that they are set to "Active" status.
6. Go to the Member Benefits tab if this member type should flow benefits to any family members. For example, if it is a company member type and the company staff receives member benefits because their company is a member, you'd select Dues Paying Member Staff.
7. Go to the Product Add-ons tab if you would like to include any products on the dues invoices. Keep in mind that these will show up on both new and renewal invoices. New members joining can remove the product from the invoice before it is created, renewing members will need to contact you to remove the line item from the invoice since the invoice is created automatically.
8. In the Renewal tab, update the member type's renewal settings and renewal email messaging.
9. Then, go to the Settings tab to dial in member type settings and accounting.
10. Now that the new member type has been created and all settings are dialed in, go to the main Member Types list (on the backend) and review the display order, which is what users will see on the frontend of your website (https://yourassociation.com/membership-information page).
If any member types should be moved, drag & drop into position or right-click for "Move to Top" and "Move to Bottom" options: