Sections In This Article:
- Novi & MailChimp Terminology
- The Basics of the Integration
- Setting Up the Initial MailChimp Connection
- Getting Novi & MailChimp to Start Syncing
- Finding Your Synced Groups in MailChimp
- Creating a Campaign in MailChimp Using Novi Groups
- Frequently Asked Questions - regarding manual imports, numbers not matching up, merge fields, and more
Novi & MailChimp Terminology
Before we dive in, let's make sure terms like "group" and "audience" don't get confused during the process. Here's an overview of some terms we'll be using throughout this article:
Novi Group - Each group you create in Novi is a segment of your database. The resulting list can then be synced to MailChimp (email, first name, and last name).
>> Learn more about how to create a Group in Novi.
- MailChimp Audience - Each audience in MailChimp represents a list of contacts (i.e. recipients or subscribers). All Novi Groups sync to one MailChimp Audience (which is called "Novi AMS" by default, but you can re-name if you'd like).
- MailChimp Interest Group - Within each MailChimp Audience, contacts can be segmented by Interest Group. Each Novi Group that you sync to MailChimp will be represented within one Interest Group in the Novi AMS audience.
- MailChimp Group - Within the Interest Group that Novi syncs to, you will see MailChimp groups. These correspond directly to the Novi groups you've synced over.
The Basics of the Integration
At the very core of the integration, here's what happens:
- You create a group of members in Novi.
- When you decide you want to sync that group in Novi with MailChimp, you sync it over to MailChimp.
- MailChimp will create a Novi AMS audience, that consists of your Novi AMS Interest Group, where you'll be able to see the corresponding MailChimp groups to your Novi groups
- The member's name and email syncs into MailChimp - no other information.
- The MailChimp groups stay up-to-date with the members in your Novi groups.
Setting Up the Initial MailChimp Connection
NOTE: This step was likely completed during onboarding unless you are switching from Constant Contact to MailChimp after onboarding.
If you are newly using MailChimp, you'll want to connect Novi to your MailChimp account, by following these steps:
- Generate an API Key in MailChimp and copy.
- In the admin side of Novi, click on your name in the top right corner and select Association Settings.
- Click on the Integrations tab (on the left side of the screen).
- Scroll down to the Email Marketing section.
- Paste your API Key in the MailChimp API Key field.
- Click the Save & Close button.
We also highly recommend double-checking your default "From" address in MailChimp. If Novi & MailChimp were synced before you listed a "From" email address in Novi, that email in MailChimp may be a default Novi email address.
Getting Novi & MailChimp to Start Syncing
Your members won't automatically sync to MailChimp until you're ready for them to!
To sync groups over from Novi to MailChimp, follow these steps:
1. Navigate to Members > Groups in Novi.
2. Find or create a group you would like to create a group for in MailChimp.
- If the group already exists, click the group name - this will take you to the Details tab of the group.
- If you need to create a new group, click the Add Group button (top right).
3. Scroll down to the Email section and toggle the Sync to MailChimp setting to ON.
- The name of the MailChimp Interest Group will default to match the name of the Novi Group. In the screenshot below, the name is Current Members with Zero Dues Balance.
- Note, If an existing group in MailChimp has the same name as the Novi group, the system will create a new MailChimp group with the name of the Novi group and add a " - 1" or " - 2" as necessary to make the list name unique, but they will not sync together.
- Admins can edit the name of the interest group in MailChimp (if needed). It will still sync to the same group in Novi, and the list name under the sync toggle will also be updated in Novi to reflect the change.
4. Click the Save button. The contacts in the Novi group will then sync to MailChimp. >> Please note that sync timing varies per group.
- More info on Group Email Sync Status.
- More info on creating Groups in Novi.
- More info on syncing Event Attendee lists.
How MailChimp Stays Up-To-Date With Novi
- Once a Novi group is created and synced with MailChimp, new members added to the system who meet your group's conditions will automatically be synced.
- If a member no longer meets the criteria in the group's conditions, they will be removed from the Novi group and the corresponding MailChimp interest group.
- If a group is deleted in Novi or the sync is toggled from ON to OFF, the system will automatically delete the corresponding list in MailChimp. This action will be logged in the audit log.
- If an interest group is deleted in MailChimp while it is still set to sync to a group in Novi, you will see an error icon in the main group list. Hover over the icon to see more information.
- It is VERY IMPORTANT that you do not manually import any contacts into an existing group in MailChimp. They'll simply be removed the next time the Novi sync runs.
Finding Your Synced Groups in MailChimp
The ONLY MailChimp Audience Novi will sync is the "Novi AMS" audience (see screenshot A below). Though you may re-name it, it must still be connected to the same Audience.
If you are seeing other audiences in your MailChimp account, they are not connected to or syncing with Novi.
To locate your Novi Groups in MailChimp, follow these steps:
- In MailChimp, go to the Audience section and select your Novi AMS list. (Screenshot A)
- You will then see a master list of all your subscribers. This is from all Novi Groups that are synced with MailChimp.
- Click the Manage Contacts tab, then select Groups from the drop-down. (Screenshot B)
- Click the View Groups button on the right next to Novi AMS Interests. (Screenshot C)
- The list will expand to show all of your Novi Groups that have synced over. You can click on a specific interest group to see the contacts and specific data regarding that group.
Creating a Campaign in MailChimp Using Novi Groups
Once your Novi Groups are synced over to MailChimp and you are ready to create a campaign, follow these steps:
- Click Campaigns (top toolbar menu)
- Click the Create Campaign button (top right)
- Select the campaign type that suits your communication
- In the "To" section of the campaign, click the Add Recipients button
- In the "Audience" drop-down, choose the Novi AMS list if it gives you more than one option
- In the "Segment or Tag" drop-down, choose Group or new segment
- Set the conditions below this to say Novi AMS Interests > all of > choose group. Note that you can select more than one group.
Your campaign conditions should look very similar to this:
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why doesn't the number of contacts in my MailChimp group exactly match the number of members and beneficiaries in my Novi group?
5. Can I edit the MailChimp merge fields in my Novi AMS Audience?
Novi should be your "system of record" for member information such as address, phone number, fields, etc. For this reason, we highly recommend against editing or adding any merge fields in MailChimp, other than the default name and email fields.
Doing so may actually break your sync. The system is expecting a set of simple "text" values from merge fields (besides email of course), like the "FNAME" and "LNAME" fields that are synced over from Novi. So while additional "text" merge fields are okay, when you start adding complex merge field types like "ADDRESS," you'll run into issues.
Just keep in mind - customer info edits should always be happening in Novi.
6. What happens if a MailChimp subscriber is no longer part of a Novi Group?
If a subscriber is no longer included in any of your Novi Groups, we will remove them from your Novi AMS master list in MailChimp. This will keep your mailing lists clean and updated. Note, this does not remove the person or their information from Novi. You will still have access to this data.
7. Why is MailChimp making me "reconfirm" my list?
An important fact to note is that MailChimp will only accept active, useable email addresses. Their algorithm determines whether or not emails fit these standards or if they are at risk of being flagged as spam. If you have email addresses in your database that do not meet these guidelines, you run the risk of having to go through a process to reconfirm your list in MailChimp at their discretion.
8. Can I change the "From Email Address" of a particular campaign?
The "from email address" that shows in MailChimp when you are creating a campaign is pulled directly from your Novi settings. If you would like to change this for a particular campaign, you can do so without affecting Novi.
All you need to do is change the email address in the "Setup" portion of the campaign builder in MailChimp. This will show recipients that the email is coming from the address you chose and if they respond, it will be sent to that email. This is a good technique if the email campaign is specific to a project or event a specific staff member is working on. The form to change the email address looks like this: