To send a password reset email from the admin:
- Navigate to the record.
- Click on the Settings tab.
- In the Account Details section, make sure the correct email address is visible.
- Click the Send Password Reset button.
Keep in mind, your website users with accounts have access to request this themselves on the frontend.
Password Reset Status Messages
After clicking the Send Password Reset button in the admin (above) OR when a user requests a password reset from the frontend, a message will be visible on their Settings tab so that staff can see that a password reset email has been sent.
The user has 24 hours to reset their password before the link (AKA a token) in the email expires.
The message will continue to display on the record's settings for 16 hours, even after the profile or tab is closed. Within this 16 hours, re-sending a password reset will email the user the same token.
After 16 hours has passed, the message will no longer appear and the user has 8 remaining hours to reset their password. Clicking on Send Password Reset again in this final 8 hour window or afterward will send the user a new token, making the previous email link invalid.
There are two types of messages that will display for password resets:
1. Password reset is automatically sent when creating a new user account (Clicking the Create User button)
"Account successfully created and reset password email sent."
2. Password reset for an existing user account (Clicking the Send Password Reset button)
"Reset password email sent."
Notice that in both cases, the link is included along with the message, so that if the user does not receive the email for any reason, you can give them the direct password reset link.
- Send Users A Manual Password Reset
- Remove or Update User Account Login Email
- Create a User Account from the Admin
- User Account Creation for Members on the Frontend
- Common User Account Creation Errors
- Updating a Person's Email Address: Professional Contact Info vs User Account
- Troubleshoot: Member is not receiving emails from my site