Learning a new software system can seem a little overwhelming, but hopefully a little exciting too. We've created a "Getting Started" guide for each section of the system so that you can feel comfortable navigating Novi in no time.
Should you have any questions, we're only a click of the "blue bubble" away (bottom-right).
We're excited to have you as part of the Novi fam! And with that, let's dive in!
Membership Lifecycle in Novi
JOIN | RENEW | DROP
New members join your association via your website. While every association has different settings for members joining, typically the following occurs:
- New Member joins from the front-end of your website via your customizable sign-up form
- New Member Added to Recent Signups in Novi
- New Member is Added to QuickBooks
- Welcome Email Sent to New Member (once approved)
- Added to Your Online Novi Member Directory (once approved)
In addition to the above Novi automations, your association may have a list of other items to complete such as sending a welcome packet. Consider adding those as "to-dos" to their Activity Timeline.
Whether your association renews its members on a calendar year or by their anniversary date, Novi is equipped to handle their renewals. The vast majority of our customers opt to have Novi take care of their renewals automatically for them, so the rest of this section will assume that is the case. You can check to see how your renewals are set-up in the Member Types section of Novi.
When a member renews, the following happens:
- Invoice is generated in QuickBooks and pulled back into Novi.
- Novi automatically updates the member's expiration date to reflect the renewal date. This bumps the member's expiration date to the next year (assuming you renew annually).
Please note: Invoices are NOT automatically sent out. This is by design! Dues are the largest revenue generator for most associations and we want a pair of human eyes to review the invoices before sending them out in batch.
From time to time, you may need to recalculate your invoices prior to sending those out. Don't worry, we've got your back!
When the time comes to "drop" any members who have not paid their dues, Novi has a batch action to assist with you this process, called Non-Renew and Credit which can be performed on the Accounting tab.
Why doesn't Novi "drop" my members for me automatically?
Remember that when a membership auto-renews, the member's expiration is moved forward to the next year. We assume the majority of your members will renew and we automate based on the majority.
Non-Renew & Credit comes in when a member hasn't paid their invoice and you essentially want to un-do that renewal. Because their expiration date has already been set to a future date, there isn't a way for Novi to automatically drop members off a past expiration date because that date has already been set to a future date.
- Ronnie Reagan has a membership from January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019. During renewals, Novi created a new dues invoice and moved Ronnie's expiration date forward to December 31, 2020.
- If Ronnie pays his dues before it is time to drop, you do nothing but continue to make him a happy member. If he doesn't pay, you will batch drop Ronnie and any other members not in good standing in one fell swoop. Easy peasy!
Once you've got the above basics down, dive deeper into how renewal settings, dates, drops, etc. work.
>> More Articles and Help are right this way!
Did You Know? Dirty data costs organizations 15 - 25% of their annual revenue each year?
Clean data is the starting point for making solid, research-driven decisions for your association. Data clean-up should be a regular part of your week, month, quarter and year. Luckily Novi has some tools in it's toolbox to help you perform regular maintenance and keep you data squeaky clean:
In addition to the tools above, listen/read to how some of our customers prioritize and take control of data clean-up.
Member Basics and 101
Below are some basic articles we recommend that you review to help you perform some of the more common actions within Novi.